Classical Hebrew Fundamentals
Know How to Read Hebrew But Don't Understand a Word? Let's Change That!
Welcome to our first level Biblical and Prayer Book Hebrew Course
You may be thinking: "What does an online course look like at the Kamionkowski Bet Midrash?"
- You study at your own pace.
- Every lesson has a place for questions and comments to which I respond on a regular basis, so your teacher is with you at every step.
- New material is introduced in a couple of different ways to reinforce your learning.
- Each lesson has downloadable vocabulary lists and exercises.
- When you want to check your work, just click on the next lesson page and you'll find a video walk through with the answers to and an explanation of each exercise.
- Each lesson also includes a brief text study to remind you why you are studying all this!
- At the end of the course, you can take a final assessment, email it to me, and I'll let you know how I think you're progressing.
- You can request a certificate of completion for your files.
- You have access to the course as long as this website exists and I offer a money back guarantee.
"I think you are an amazing teacher and I feel great gratitude that I 'found' you!!! Thank you so much!!!"
"Tamar is an incredibly knowledgeable, patient, kind and passionate educator. She turned Biblical Hebrew tutoring, something I was nervous to take on, into an in-depth text study.... Tamar makes the nuts and bolts of Biblical Hebrew relevant and interesting to Jewish life and learning.
- Rabbi Jessica Rosenberg
"Thank you professor! I learned more here than in my 10 lesson private tutoring."
Get started now!
IS THIS COURSE LEVEL RIGHT FOR YOU?
The course is for students who already recognize the letters of the Hebrew alphabet and who can read words aloud, even haltingly.
By the end of this course, you will know how to:
- Recognize masculine and feminine nouns
- Begin identifying nouns in biblical passages
- Appreciate why Hebrew vowels are important
- Learn some fun facts about the letters of the alphabet
- Build up a vocabulary of over 80 of the most common words in the Bible
- Recognize prepositions and how they attach to nouns
- Identify adjectives in biblical passages
- Recognize the basic verb form
- Work through verses of a biblical text with guided facilitation
- Feel confident that you can learn biblical Hebrew online!!
If you can translate the following with ease, then you should look at my more advanced courses:
שָׁלַח הַכֹּהֵן אֶת-הָאִשָּׁה לַמֶּלֶךְ בָּעִיר
Scroll to the bottom of this landing page to preview some of the lessons!
Tamar Kamionkowski is professor of Bible at the Reconstructionist Rabbinical College, where she has been training rabbinical students for over 20 years. She holds a B.A from Oberlin College, an M.T.S from Harvard Divinity School and a Ph.D in Near Eastern and Judaic studies from Brandeis University.
Tamar is the author of Leviticus: A Wisdom Commentary (Liturgical Press, 2018), Gender Reversal and Cosmic Chaos: Studies in the Book of Ezekiel (Sheffield Academic Press, 2003) and co-editor of Bodies, Embodiment and Theology of the Hebrew Scriptures (T&T Clark, 2010
Tamar loves scifi, DIY projects, both Marvel and DC, and most of all, Tamar loves her partner, her two daughters and her dogs!
For over 25 years, Tamar has been committed to making Jewish literacy accessible to all kinds of learners.
PreviewNouns: Looking for Gender Fluidity? Forget about It! (3:40)
PreviewScreencast: Feminine Nouns in Singular and Plural (7:07)
PreviewScreencast: Masculine Nouns in Singular and Plural (8:36)
PreviewVocabulary List (4:21)
PreviewText Study: When Gendered Nouns Can be Interesting (4:27)
StartWhy Knowing the Vowels Makes Hebrew More Fun (6:57)
StartScreencast: What Are the Vowels and How Do They Work (I) (10:17)
StartScreencast: What Are the Vowels and How Do They Work (II) (8:58)
PreviewScreencast: What Are the Vowels and How Do They Work (III) (10:49)
StartExercise Walk Through
StartText Study: Vowels in Action (4:20)
StartResource: Vowel Chart
Frequently Asked Questions
You Can Do It! I'm Here to Guide You Through Each Step!